Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Why is my writing becoming more political? 😀 (Updated)

My first book Fire was about a rock band struggling with the pressures of sudden fame. Although I touched on a few dicey topics back then, it was nothing compared to subjects I've dealt with in my last few books. As time moves on, my subject matter tends to get more controversial. 


My motivation for becoming more political in my writing isn't because it is trendy or because I feel it might capture some attention. Like most topics brought into my books (which include racism, government corruption, Big Pharma, and more) I feel passionate about their impact on society. It's the subjects that I have strong views on that creep into my writing.

As a writer, I've always felt that what I do is observe the world and then express what I see. I think now, more than ever, it's important to create art that makes people think. It's not that I want to change anyone's opinions. I hope that through my writing, I can provoke new ideas, and perhaps some people will look at things from another perspective.

My latest few books have become political and the protagonist, Jorge Hernandez, has fascinating opinions on politics. The ironic thing is that he's a criminal, and therefore, his views are vastly different from the status quo. I have to admit that they certainly give you food for thought. And with everything going on in the world today, maybe that's not such a bad thing.




No comments:

Post a Comment