Sunday, September 9, 2018

Do we judge women writers differently? πŸ‘©πŸΌ (Updated)

Female writers. Lots of us out there. I'm just wondering if many women writers are conscious of whether or not their book comes across as being too feminine? Do women worry about covers that look too girly, or do they avoid topics that suggest wedding bells, hearts, and flowers? Is there a concern about making the male characters 'too soft' or not making their female characters strong enough? Do women writers worry that they aren't taken as seriously as men in the writing world?

I've noticed some comments in the media that have suggested that women writers sometimes feel not taken as seriously as their male counterparts, especially if they write romance or anything too 'fluffy and frilly'. Having said that, the romance genre is actually vastly popular, so this shouldn't be the case, and yet, I've heard it is.  

I tend to write about darker topics such as rock stars, gangsters, and vampires. Most of which probably have a more masculine vibe but regardless, I am very conscious of my potential audience when I'm picking out a cover. I know women will grab a book with a masculine cover but men, on the other hand, are less likely to go for anything that looks too 'girly'. It's unfortunate that we even need to have this discussion, but chances are things aren't going to change anytime soon. 

And so, when I pick out my covers, I think about this kind of thing. When I'm writing my synopsis, I think about this kind of thing. When I create my characters, I think about this kind of thing. I like to believe that all my books are potentially appealing to men and women. 

I make sure all my characters are strong because I don't like weak characters, regardless of their sex. Nothing is appealing about a male or female protagonist that whines, cries, and complains all the time (God knows we have enough of those people in the real world, why read about them too? 🀭) or is simply too soft. Honestly, I don't think this appeals to anyone. A confident character in books with interesting, thought-provoking storylines is appealing to men and women readers. 

The truth is that I often feel that as a women writer, I might be judged, and therefore, maybe work a bit harder to show that I can play with the boys. No one could ever accuse me of having 'girly' books, but even if I did, I wouldn't be ashamed of it. No female writer should be. 




1 comment:

  1. Women read more than men. Women are better writers. Men are intimidated by successful women.

    ReplyDelete