Thursday, September 6, 2018

How music has become my co-writer 🎼 (Updated)

I often talk about how each of my books has a 'soundtrack' that inspired me during the writing process. These aren't songs that I select but more like the other way around. I often wonder why specific music grabs me during the writing process and won't let go until the book is finished. Not that I don't like or listen to these songs after that point, but they are no longer in the forefront of my mind.

It started with my first book, Fire. Of course, it made sense since that music was prevalent since the book was about the music industry. However, this pattern continued. One example is with We're All Animals. While writing this book, I couldn't get Pink Floyd's music out of my head. The funny part was that I hadn't been a big fan until that point. Suddenly, I was listening to their music non-stop. It was a powerful force while writing the first book in the Hernandez series

It's actually to the point where hearing certain songs will automatically make me think of the chapter in one of my books that it inspired. I guess it's no different than how most people connect certain music to periods of their lives, memorable moments, or an emotion. Except, of course, those are real things and not made-up people in a story. 😊

The fascinating thing about the process is that the topic of a song is often different from the scene I see in my imagination. For example, a song could sound very seductive but inspire a murder scene in my book or....well, vice versa. πŸ™„ It happens. There's something about certain songs that has the power to pull a story from a dark place in my mind. I'm not sure what causes it, but it works for me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment