Friday, September 7, 2018

Do I need to read the entire series to understand the new book? 🧐 (Updated)

People often ask me if they need to read my entire Hernandez series to understand my latest book. The answer is no. 

To begin with, I attempt to write each novel as standalone as possible. I want people to be able to pick up the most recent book and read it with ease and no confusion. For this reason, I often refer to previous events from other books, in short, digestible descriptions. This gives the reader what they need to know without too much detail.


Essentially, I want the reader to understand the context of the book without having to wade through the previous storyline. I've done this many times and find it's the best method to keep everyone happy. It also gives them some clues to older books and maybe entices them to check them out too.  

The interesting thing about this series is that the first couple of books (We're All Animals and Always be a Wolf) center on the character Chase Jacobs, who tends to be slightly naive about what kind of world he is entering. A young man from rural Canada, his eyes are slowly opened up to the crime world he has joined.

All my books since have Jorge Hernandez as the protagonist, and while Chase is trusting and gentle, Jorge is strong and defiant. It's interesting because you get to discover the contrast between the two characters, but you can finally see the flip side of the story as you enter the criminal element of the story. I love that there is a slow discovery in the series, allowing the reader to see how someone unexpected might get pulled into this dark, underground world.

Of course, I explain this much better in the accompanying YouTube video. πŸ‘‡πŸΌ












No comments:

Post a Comment