Monday, September 3, 2018

Do you need a website? πŸ’» (Updated)

If you're an author, I recommend you have a website. If you're a creative of any kind and want to get your work 'out there', I strongly suggest you have a website so people can find you.

The beauty of a website is that it is a place where people can learn all about you; your work, the latest news, how to connect to your social media, how to sign up for your newsletter, etc. It depends on what you wish to put on your site. The bottom line is that you need all your information put together in one place.

I'm not an expert on websites. My first site was free and created by a friend. Since that time, I've moved on to get a domain name and a site that I threw together myself. It's not elaborate, but it works. It's simple and contains information on my books, interviews, articles I've written, and a little about me. Again, nothing fancy, but it serves the purpose.

I think it's also important to note that websites should be simple. People go to sites to find out basic information, and if you're an author, that could be to find a list of your books, learn who you are, check out your interviews, and social media. If your site is cluttered, confusing, or lacks the information people want, it's counterproductive. You need your information easily accessible. 

If you aren't super techy and a little intimidated by creating your website, I'd recommend you ask around for someone locally who can help you. Large website hosts and designers aren't as personal, especially if you aren't familiar with tech lingo, or new to this world. They can intimidate you more and not necessarily be looking out for your best interest, whereas a smaller business may take the time to explain anything that confuses you and help you out. 






No comments:

Post a Comment