Thursday, September 13, 2018

Why it's important to see through the character's eyes πŸ‘ (Updated)

One of the aspects I like best about writing has been getting inside a character's head. I love being able to see things from their eyes. I want to understand where they are coming from and how much previous experiences affect their decisions. Human nature is fascinating. 

With characters, you have no choice but to understand and appreciate their journey. This is probably the biggest lesson I've learned from writing and one that I apply to my everyday life. When I started writing as a teenager, this was the main reason it appealed to me. I felt people didn't understand each other and that through characters, we could all open our eyes a little wider and perhaps show some compassion toward one another.

Fast forward to years later, and I think this lesson is even more relevant than ever. When we look at our world today, we see a strong disconnect, a lot of judgment, and even more so, a vast divide. One of the beautiful things about the characters I write about is that they come from many different backgrounds and experiences, and I make great efforts to show how this relates to their current situations.

Interestingly enough, real life isn't that much different if we take the time to investigate.





No comments:

Post a Comment