Sunday, January 21, 2024

My characters display 'toxic masculinity' for some readers (and I don't care)

I first heard the term 'toxic masculinity' years ago and thought it was interesting. I read a book on the topic. I considered that maybe there were some legitimate points.

All this was while I also considered how so many men were not very manly anymore. That's not to say that men, in my opinion, should be crass cavemen either. However, I had left a city where many of the men I encountered were kind of soft and sensitive in an awkward way. Was there too much estrogen in the water? I had to wonder.

Fast forward a few years, and I discovered that all the books I was writing, the movies and television shows I was watching, and the men I generally was intrigued by would fall under the category of 'toxic masculinity'. I now see it as a woke term meant to shame men for...well, being men. 

I'll never forget the time that a woman ripped into me on Facebook, saying I was a misogynist. She felt that I hated other women. I missed the memo where I was supposed to hate men. You see if I said anything against another woman, I was a terrible person, but if I said something against a man, I was probably stating a fact. At least, that's the impression she gave me in her comments.

But let's get back to my books. If you've read any of the books in my Hernandez series, you already know that a lot of testosterone is flowing through the chapters. You'll find aggression, bullying, violence, and all the things that tend to ruffle the feathers of those who'd prefer to see men being weak.

So, if you like male characters who are more likely to punch someone in the face than to shed a tear, you might want to check out my series. You might find some alpha dogs there.

And if you prefer gentle and sensitive men, go watch a Hallmark movie.




No comments:

Post a Comment