Sunday, September 16, 2018

We need more diversity in books πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸ‡²πŸ‡½πŸ‡¨πŸ‡΄πŸ‡΅πŸ‡­πŸ³️‍🌈 (Updated)

More than ever, I believe diversity is important in books. Having said that, when I started writing back in 2009, it hadn't even crossed my mind. Much has changed since those days; my most recent books feature characters of various ethnicities, different economic levels, some of which are from the LGBTQ community, and although I don't bring up religion often, the topic has come up a few times in my books. 

As a child growing up in Canada, I don't recall reading many books about characters that weren't white, which seems unusual for a multicultural country. When considering many of the books I've read over the years - including bestsellers - I believe the majority featured mainly Caucasian characters. Interesting.

I now go out of my way to read and write books with characters that reflect diversity. Why is it important? Well, because it's realistic. That's our world. Why do we need it now more than ever? Turn on the news, and you might get an idea. Governments and narrow-minded groups are attempting to divide us in many different ways, but the beauty of books, movies, and television is that we can bring us together and show that we aren't so different after all.




No comments:

Post a Comment