Friday, September 21, 2018

How do I pick out my book titles?? πŸ€“ (Updated)

People often ask me how I come up with book titles. The key is to pick something catchy and demands attention. That's not to say that all my titles fall under these categories, but I like to think I'm getting better at titling my books.


With my first book Fire, it was pretty straightforward. The story was about a fictional band in the 90s called 'Fire', and that's as creative as I got with that title. The follow-up was A Spark before the Fire, which was pretty much an attempt to connect the two titles, letting people know that this book was kind of the prequel to Fire. There's also a line in the book where the protagonist is called 'a spark in the sky'.


I thought my third book, The Rock Star of Vampireshad a pretty catchy title. It stems from the protagonist looking for the 'rock star of vampires' throughout the book. 


Most of my titles come from a line in the book. There is a significance that the reader will discover as they work their way through the story. Other books like Psychopaths Rule the World is a combination of plot significance and my reflection on the world. Always be a Wolf is simply an idealogy repeated throughout the series, as is Loyalty Above All (there are no exceptions)


A title should capture the essence of a book and give readers a sense of the overall theme that awaits them.


Check out this video from a few years ago where I talk about some of my older titles. 








No comments:

Post a Comment