Friday, July 17, 2020

Why we love the softer side of a gangster character 💀(Updated)

Throughout the Hernandez series, readers are often surprised to see the softer side of the protagonist, Jorge Hernandez. Usually abrupt, in control, and dangerous, it's a surprise to see his vulnerabilities. This especially comes to light when dealing with either his children or wife, Paige. Something is appealing about the unexpected balance of his character.

In general, I think people enjoy discovering the unexpected when it comes to characters. There's something about getting past the mask, the bullshit, to learn who someone really is that is fascinating in both the real and fictitious world. I believe it's human nature to want to understand what makes people tick. Also, to see what we all have in common despite our backgrounds and status in the world.

I have said in the past that I normally don't write a love story. I guess it's perhaps my cynicism that makes me hesitant. However, I find the relationship between Jorge and Paige fascinating and adds an extra element to the series. I think the unlikelihood of two people who don't fit in well with the rest of the world meeting each other is somewhat inspiring. Throw in a couple of children, and the protagonist is forced to not always be in control, and as the reader, you get to see him unravel.

And there's something about seeing someone unravel that makes us see humanity. Which, I believe, is what we're often looking for in the first place.


No comments:

Post a Comment