Friday, October 4, 2019

Do you have a side gig? 🤫(Updated)

I often wonder how many hours I work a week. When I consider both my jobs, my writing, not to mention the countless hours of preparing and creating social media (including this video and blog 😂) I probably would be shocked by the total. 😲

Hey, but I don't mind. This is my passion. I can't imagine my life without my artistic side, and writing happens to be it. For others, it's creating music, dancing, painting, or it may not be a creative side at all. Perhaps you are trying to start a side business that takes some time to establish. This is normal. There's no shame in working while you reach for your dreams.

Having said that there's a lot of misconceptions. The 'overnight success' story is usually just that; a story. Most people work long hours, often for many years, before their efforts start to catch on. This is the rule rather than the exception.

I always tell the story of a woman I used to know while living in Vancouver, who thought I was a fool for 'wasting my time' with writing pursuits. She was clear on the fact that since my first book hadn't been a  best-selling success, it naturally meant that I was putting my efforts into the wrong things. She ridiculed me for even continuing with my writing and suggested I drop it. I instead decided to drop our friendship. I felt that writing was probably the safer bet of the two.

Having said this, it requires work. For example, you can't write a book and then sit on your hands for the next 12 months. You always have to be looking ahead, thinking of new ways to find your audience, and staying on social media so fans and followers can learn more about you. You must manage your time very carefully. When are you at your sharpest? What can you fit into your day? There's usually lots to do, so you need to be diligent and plan ahead.

Do you have a side gig? What are your dreams?



No comments:

Post a Comment