Sunday, January 2, 2022

My two main objectives as a writer 🧐

When I started writing years ago, my main objective was to create compassion and understanding. I wanted people to understand other people's perspectives and situations with less judgment. I felt like people were cold and cruel as a teenager, so my writing allowed me an avenue to potentially make the world a little kinder.

Of course, that was my objective as a teenager when I still was idealistic about the world and thought it could be a little kinder and more compassionate. These days I'm a little less optimistic and focus more on my second objective as a writer, to make people think.

In my books, I bring up various topics and issues in hopes that people consider the opinions of my characters or the general situations they're to see other points of view. I write about criminals, so my characters have a unique perspective on everything. Some of the topics I bring up are indigenous issues, government, Big Pharma, family issues, and many other things throughout my series to encourage different ideas or thoughts. Of course, there are minor topics that deal more with everyday life too.

Since Jorge Hernandez is the protagonist in my books, the views are through his lens and often are blunt, direct, and harsh. He's not one to pussyfoot around, which may feel like a brick on the side of the head, but that's who he is and how he expresses himself.

I'm sure most writers have more simple objectives, such as to entertain people, and I probably should too. Don't get me wrong, that is in there, but as a writer, I've always had to have something more to keep me motivated, and this is it.



No comments:

Post a Comment