Monday, April 20, 2020

Why I write books at the same pace as a tv show 🙀🔪📺(Updated)

If you pick up a book published 100 years ago, you'll immediately see a noticeable difference from a modern novel you'll read today. Perhaps it's the elaborate descriptions that were more important in a time when people had time to relax with a book and slip into a magical world. Remember this was before television, the internet, and Netflix, so people didn't have as many options for entertainment. Therefore, they appreciated these details.

Not to say that descriptions are no longer important, but today, people don't have time and want to dive right into the story. Also, readers want to participate in the process more than ever before. What I mean by that is that they like to imagine what that hot guy looks like rather than the mentally exhausting process of etching out his face according to your five-paragraph description. I'm exaggerating a bit but, if you're an avid reader, I know you've stumbled on this at some time. If a reader is overthinking something from my book, I prefer it be the plot, the crucial points or concept brought up by characters and not the specific, exact details of someone's face, the room they just walked into, or the garden behind their house. For example, when I refer to a luxurious hotel suite, I think most people have a pretty good idea of what that entails. I don't need to give too many specific details. 

It's hardly a secret that people have short attention spans. I was thinking about this article and had my attention diverted about seven times, so I'm hardly the exception to the rule. Rather than diving into this blog, I  thought about the television show I watched last night, conversations I had yesterday, and what I anticipated to happen later today.

In other words, readers appreciate a fast-paced book. It keeps them turning the pages. As a writer, it keeps me wanting to continue writing them too. I get bored if things aren't moving quickly, so I think that is a sign that my readers would too. Not to mention, that I see each book like a movie or television episode playing in my head. The trick is to keep caught up with my characters. Those bastards move fast! 😂



No comments:

Post a Comment