Monday, September 5, 2016

Why I Hate Being Stuck in a Genre 😩 (Updated)

I hate the word ‘genre’. It sounds so limiting. As if you define your book in one, single category rather than having it overlap in many areas. Then again, is that surprising since we also live in a world that wants us to define ourselves into small categories that are easily digestible, uncomplicated, and make other people comfortable?

I stopped trying to define my books. Except for The Rock Star of Vampires and its follow-up, Her Name is Mariah, I have always stuck with the genre of ‘fiction’ when checking in with my publisher and later when asked which category my books fit. For me, a great book should overlap into many genres. There should be some romance – but not too much. There should be some drama – but not to the point that it becomes unrealistic. There should be some suspense but not necessarily non-stop from chapter one. There should be some erotica but not in the Fifty Shades extreme. I think readers should get a glimpse of themselves in the story as well as a fantasy version of themselves.

When I write a book, I visualize it as if it were one of my favorite dramas on television. I like surprise twists and turns. I love strong emotions. I like diving into dark topics. I love contradictions. I like the light side of our personalities that makes us human. 

Genres tend to be suffocating. When asked for themes in my first book, I stupidly suggested ‘romance’ even though it was only a fraction of the book. My publisher immediately suggested that I change the ending and do things differently to connect with the ‘romance’ fan. I wasn’t about to make my book into a tacky, $2 trash romance book and immediately said no. Same thing with the vampire books; I was told they weren’t ‘vampiry’ enough, not what fans wanted in this kind of genre – but to me, that was the point. Who says that all vampire books have to be the same? Isn’t the point of creativity to be unique? Sometimes I think this is no longer the case. 



No comments:

Post a Comment