Sunday, December 19, 2021

Why I don't write warm and fuzzy books 🧸

When people learn that I'm an author, they're often surprised to learn that I write about violent criminals who think nothing of murdering from time to time. Perhaps I don't give off that crazy vibe as much as I thought I did, or maybe it's because I'm a woman, and generally speaking, female authors are more known for books that fall more on the softer side. It's not something I give a lot of thought to but from time to time, I do get asked why I don't write books that are warm and fuzzy. 

In truth, I tend to read darker, sinister books, so it's not surprising that I also choose to write them. As a writer, it mightn't surprise you that I also tend to write what I see reflected in the world around me, and you don't have to look far to understand why I write about a protagonist that is rich, powerful and isn't afraid to get blood on his hands. This is merely symbolic of the elites that rule our world - thus, my title Psychopaths Rule the World from earlier this year. 

Although I don't write warm and fuzzy books, I tend to show the softer side of characters. To not do so wouldn't be a fair reflection on human nature. Even the most rotten, soulless person has an unexpected sentimental side, just as the kindest person you know may occasionally have a temper tantrum. People are complex, and so are characters. 

Maybe someday I will write warm and fuzzy books. As soon as our world becomes a warm and fuzzy place. 

Any day now. 




No comments:

Post a Comment