Sunday, March 12, 2023

I couldn't find the book I wanted, so I wrote it myself 😉

I think the title says it all. We've heard this story many times before but not always from authors. People created products as a solution to a problem. That's how most things get invented. Writing a book that you wanted to read isn't any different. 

Not to give you the wrong impression. I've read a lot of fiction over there years that I loved, but it wasn't quite what I wanted. I wanted the combination of ruthless criminals that leaned toward gangsters, along with some dark humor and a strong sense of loyalty and connection. I wanted characters that didn't fit into the social norms and didn't care. I wanted books that opened people's eyes and made them question what was happening in the world. Nothing too light. Nothing too predictable. If I read a book and knew the ending well in advance once, it's happened at least a million times. Publishers are often short-sighted and prefer books to fit a mold to ensure sales. That's why I'm an indie author. My goals are vastly different. 

Of course, I would love great book sales, but not because I wrote to cater to an audience and be a millionaire. I wanted to make a point. I hope to encourage critical thinking while being entertained. I wanted people to live through my characters. I've always written with integrity, not for sales. 

I assumed that if I liked this kind of book, so would other people. As it turns out, I was right. 







No comments:

Post a Comment