Monday, December 2, 2019

Why do you need a sharp book cover? 😉(Updated)

Book covers should symbolize the pages inside, but how much of an impact do they make? Do we judge a book by its cover?

I spend a lot of time thinking about my book covers and choosing the best option. Like everything else, I often overthink it, but in general, a cover must give an overall feel of the story inside. For example, many of my books have a dark, sinister vibe that is captured on the cover. These days, I write about criminals, so you wouldn't expect to find an image that is bright, cheery, and fun. It wouldn't make sense. It would be misleading and send the wrong message about the story and the characters involved.

Book covers should speak to their potential audience. To me, if something captivates them in the imagery, chances are it represents a curiosity about what may be in the pages. Much like a movie poster, a book cover should leave you with a sense of what to expect. Colors, the specific images, and the title create an impression and should cause the potential reader to be intrigued and want to sink into the pages.

A perfect example would be my Hernandez series. The protagonist is sinister, powerful, and dangerous. Both the covers in this article will show you the connection to this theme. I lean toward ominous imagery. I also have bright colors that are eye-catching and attractive against the black background. This is what captivates your audience.

In the end, each author has to decide which cover best represents their book while at the same time considering the marketing aspect and what will sell. It can be a difficult balance but is necessary when publishing a book.



No comments:

Post a Comment