Friday, July 19, 2019

The super crazy last chapter 😜(Updated)

Don't let the last chapter fall flat; make it a wild ride till the end.

The problem that I noticed (while reading fiction) is that it often has a predictable pattern. The story usually builds to a climax, eventually resolving, only to fade away in the final chapter. I find the last chapter in a lot of books is simply tying up loose ends, and for that reason, I often skim through then read the final paragraph. It would be the same as watching a season of your favorite television show and having no drama or action in the last episode but just the characters sitting around having a chat and hugging a lot.

Something that I've learned along the way is that you need action, suspense, and surprises even as the book winds down. And yes, that includes the last chapter. Contrary to whatever your high school creative writing teacher taught you, finishing a book shouldn't simply be about tying a pretty bow on it.

In my Hernandez series, my goal is to keep things crazy till the end. I've finished books with shootouts and suspense, but probably most importantly, I've left a lot of questions hanging in the wind. There's always an implication that something more is around the corner. I want readers to finish my books and wonder about the characters. I want to set their imaginations on fire. And to me, that's important of all.


No comments:

Post a Comment