Friday, January 5, 2024

"Sorry, I only read non-fiction" 🤦🏼‍♀️

Shortly after publishing my first book in 2010, I had a friend who agreed to write a review, provided I gave her a free copy. To this, I was happy to oblige. At the time, I was just excited that anyone was interested in reading my book!

She later got back to me, stating she would write a review. When I asked her what she thought, she said, "I liked what I read." 

Say what? 

As it turns out, she didn't normally read fiction. As a favor to me, she kindly read, like, half the book. 

If you're a fiction author, this is the part where you roll your eyes. I know. I did the same. I asked her why she didn't bother to read the whole book since I gifted it to her. I found it a little offensive. 

As it turned out, she was offended because she had gone out of her way to read half the book. After all, she was a non-fiction girl and didn't lower herself to the silly, fiction world. 

The funny part is that this book snob didn't understand that she enters a fictitious world whenever she turns on a movie or watches a television show. A story is a story. I'm sure it has more prestige if it's under the shiny lights of Hollywood, but it all started with a writer's creative side. It came from someone's imagination, with characters formed out of nothing. 





No comments:

Post a Comment