Monday, December 21, 2020

Do I have to read the entire Hernandez series to follow the latest book? 🧐(Updated)

No. 

Well, that was a short article.

Maybe I should elaborate.

A book should be strong enough to stand on its own. Sure, there should be some details explained in a general manner to give the reader some idea of the most relevant information. Of course, this is without spoiling the plot or digging too much into the past. One clean swoop should take care of everything the reader needs to know.

For example, if you wrote a book with a complicated plotline and followed it up with the sequel, you wouldn't give the reader every detail from that previous book but a vague and summarized explanation that keeps the reader on a need-to-know basis only. 

For example, in my Hernandez series, I often refer to Jorge Hernandez's shady past but never get into his complicated history. I let you know that he is brutal, dangerous and no one gets in his way. However, I don't go into an explanation of the crimes he committed. Nor do I discuss the revenge, the murders, the corruption, nor do I talk about the threats, manipulation, and ...I think you get the idea. 

In essence, he's crazy, he's dangerous, and you don't want to get on Jorge's bad side. 

In the end, there should be enough information about the previous books in the series to create intrigue. After all, if they fall in love with the book in their hands, chances are they'll want to snatch up the ones that precede it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment