Friday, November 2, 2018

Knowing the ending first 🤭(Updated)

I know it's common for many authors to 'write the ending first' when outlining a book. However, I don't. There are two things in that sentence that I don't do. I don't outline, and I don't know the ending when I start writing a book. I like the surprise element. If I'm surprised, then so will be my reader. 

But then I geared up to writing my 11th book, and something strange happened. I knew the ending first. 

I fought it. I tried to push it aside, but the final scene was too powerful for me to ignore. This forced me to get out of my comfort zone. I eventually started writing with the ending crystal clear in my mind. 

I won't lie. This freaked me out. 

UPDATE: In the end, even with some ideas on how my book would end, it turned out there were still a few surprises. I guess it's great to have some ideas about how the ending will look, but again, if you're surprised by the final pages of your book, so will the reader. 




No comments:

Post a Comment