Sunday, October 13, 2024

Why I'm not writing (right now) 😬

People often ask me if I'm writing anything now. Having been an author since 2010, with 18 books to my credit, they're usually surprised when I say no.  

Not to say I will never write again. It's just not in my heart to do at this time. Having said that, I've given it a great deal of thought, and here are some reasons why I haven't written since last year. 

1. Depression and apathy. Actually, everything on the list below might help explain my depression and apathy. Still, generally speaking, it's like anything else in life where you sometimes wonder if your contribution is worth it. I think it's good to stand back and reflect at times. 

2. When I finished all my other books, I was chomping at the bit to start the next one. After finishing Everybody Wants to Rule the World, I had ideas but no motivation. I didn't have a sense of urgency to start the next project. I wasn't inspired.

3. When the entire world seems to be on fire, how can you possibly write fiction that surprises or excites readers? The news and social media are already keeping people's senses on high alert, is it possible for any form of entertainment to compare? 

4. Censorship. Canada and many countries are either bringing in or have already brought in censorship laws, primarily on social media. I don't pretend to be an expert, but I believe it's Bill C-63 that is the latest one coming down the pipe, which is extremely heavy-handed. How does this affect fiction? I write violent books with unflattering views about the Canadian government in my Hernandez series, and I promote it on social media. And let's face it, it's starting to feel like a, 'show me the man, and I'll show you the crime' society at this point. I'm not the only author concerned with the growing censorship in Canada. It's a slippery slope, folks. 

5. One of the most depressing things for an author to hear is the words, "I don't read." And I know it's because some people lack time, others lack interest, and even more lack the ability to concentrate. I used to think movies and television were my competition, but increasingly, it feels like social media is what I'm up against. Why sit with a book when you can watch a two-minute video on TikTok? (if you do, I DO have a channel 😉) It's rare for younger people to read. A parent recently told me she thought it was 'strange' that one of their kids read. Why? Is that strange? I thought this was a sad statement. 

That's the best way I can sum up why I haven't started another book yet. But who knows? I could change my mind tomorrow. 




No comments:

Post a Comment