Saturday, June 5, 2021

Are your characters RUDE?? 🙀

I never really understood why so many writers feel the need to make their protagonist the saint and innocent victim of life, but I tend to play my cards differently. There are many of my characters that might be considered rude, and I'm ok with that. 

It all started when I wrote about a guy named Jimmy Groome in my first book (who came along as the protagonist in my second book, A Spark Before the Fire) that I discovered that writing about characters with an edge is fun. Although we learn that Jimmy was originally quite shy and bullied as a child in his back story, he eventually became a talented musician, which brings with it, popularity. That's when his rude side came out and often to those who were mean to him in his childhood. His remarks were often downright mean, but you could understand where this snappy attitude came from as a reader. 

Later, I would write about a sassy, young vampire named Mariah (Her Name is Mariah) who was bold and had an attitude, but we understood once you know her back story. She grew up with an alcoholic mother and a father who left the family while Mariah was still a child. She grew a sharper edge because she needed it to survive. Determined to be no one's victim, Mariah never felt the need to hold back on her direct comments and attacks. 

Of course, my sharpest, most abrupt, and rudest protagonist of all would have to be Jorge Hernandez (Hernandez series). He has few limits when it comes to rudeness. When you're on his bad side, Jorge has no limits to what he will say, with little concern about hurt feelings. Often a fine line between rudeness and threats, he once told an annoying telemarketer that if they called again, he would find them and cut their fucking throat. Needless to say, he's pretty extreme in his rudeness. 

Rude characters can seem inappropriate to the very sensitive but let's face it, they're kind of fun to read (and write) about because they say things that sometimes, we wish we could say too. 

- Mima





No comments:

Post a Comment