Thursday, July 23, 2020

Why do I choose to be an indie author? 🤩 (updated)

Contrary to what some people might think, independent artists aren't necessarily the spinster aunt who never could find someone to marry her, but the independent woman who preferred the road less traveled. In other words, indie artists - whether it be writers, musicians, filmmakers - aren't doing so out of desperation but out of self-preservation. They play by their own rules.

The problem with following the traditional route in publishing is that it requires getting an agent (which takes a lot of time) and then allowing their agent to help them find a publisher (also takes time). While this isn't a terrible idea, it's probably not going to happen overnight. As a writer, you have to consider your values, what you want, and follow your instincts. For me, that means having the freedom to write whatever I wanted with no boundaries or disputes on content. I don't want someone telling me to make changes to fit current industry standards. I also don't want to change my book to make it more of a commercial success. As an artist, I want to unleash my vision into the world without feeling any restrictions or censorship. Call me a rebel. 

I know it's not for everyone. A lot of writers have different values and motivations than mine, and that's fine. We're all unique, and who's to say that one day, mine won't change. However, at this time, expressing myself and coloring outside the lines is my priority.

Being an indie author automatically makes you a harder sell. People have a lot of preconceived notions about independent artists as a whole. It's easier to grab the latest best-seller off the rack than take a chance on someone unknown. I mean, you know what you're getting, right? Then again, is that always a good thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment