Saturday, September 18, 2021

How do I meet my characters 🤝

It might surprise you to learn that meeting a character isn't all that different from meeting an actual person. I mean, there are some obvious differences, but in theory, it's quite similar. What do I mean? Let me explain.

When you meet a person, it takes time to get to know them. You can make assumptions about them, get your first impression, but it tends to take time to unravel the complexities of a human being. People are complicated. They're a series of experiences, heritage, genes, and self-concepts that makes them both fascinating and at times, difficult to understand. 

Characters are also complex, a product of their environment, experiences, and views of the world. And contrary to what many people might think, you can't decide ahead of time exactly who they are and fit them in a neat little box. It usually takes writing about them and seeing them in various circumstances and conversations to slowly reveal who they are and how they fit into the world. 

So, in essence, I meet my characters when they come along in the story, but getting to know them is a whole other thing.

- Mima




No comments:

Post a Comment